Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Our House



Finally, after nearly 4 hours at closing, we got the keys to our new house!

Within the first 3 days of moving in, we have had to do some work to remedy issues in the house.


  1. 1) Leak in the roof - this was existing when the sellers had the house and I guess they thought they fixed it.
  2. Leak in the bathroom - the toilet seal wasn't working so I had to pull the toilet up and replace the wax seal, which lead to the removal of our linoleum flooring because we thought the floor underneath was soaked, which lead to the removal of the shower doors (just because hubby didn't like them) and then when I went to hang the shower curtain we realized that the wall behind the shower is hot (still wired with live knob and tube wiring). So that led to me trying to reseal the wall of the tub (it's waterproofing board behind the tub but not sealed well). So now we have a completely torn apart bathroom - that still functions somewhat. It's first on my list to do. I'll also have to redo some of the plumbing because of some water leakage. It's somewhat expected considering the house is 105 years old.
  3. 3) Mold - this was discovered in our basement after moving some wooden panels left in the basement. It looks as if the mold was painted over because it's coming back through the walls. I've been spraying a bleach mixture temporarily on the walls for now until we can get a de-humidifier for now for the basement. I also noticed that our newly installed french drain/sump doesn't have an electric outlet to plug into that was installed by the seller to remedy the wet basement issues... a good website to review if you have mold issues is http://www.moldinspector.com/. So I am going to do a test while I do the radon testing next week just to be safe so we know what we are dealing with.
  4. 4) Electrical - the house is wired with knob and tube still. That is going ASAP. I just bought 6 reels of 250 feet of Romex 14/2 wiring and plan on using my upcoming weeks worth of vacation to at least get one outlet into each room, then I'll start working on wiring the rest of the house. Having every wall in the house hot is making me a nervous wreck.


More to come... the joys of home-ownership.

No comments: